Friday, June 5, 2009

Banana Muffins


I'm kind of picky when it comes to my muffins. I don't like going to the effort of waking up early enough to make muffins and have them come out mediocre. Thankfully there is a plethora of recipes that make delicious even-better-than-the-bakery muffins. Gourmet has a killer butter laden blueberry muffin recipe.

I present, Exhibit B - this banana muffin recipe. I saw Tyler Florence make this on TV and although his process was a bit involved for o'dark thirty in the morning, the muffin is outstanding. Tender crumb, not super dense like banana bread and just the right amount of sweetness. I fiddled with the recipe and realized using a stand mixer to whip the banana + sugar mixture is not necessary. Yes, you can thank you me now.

Essentially you can use two bowls and be done. I do like sprinkling raw sugar on top of most of my muffins since it gives such a beautiful sparkle and a lovely sweet crunch to the best part of the muffin. Again, remember that a disher/scoop is your best friend when making muffins quickly. I use this #20 disher for filling muffin cups about 2/3 of the way.

Banana Muffins
adapted from Tyler Florence

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp table salt
4 bananas - the ones you forgot on the counter and are beyond ripe and black
1 cup brown sugar - packed
1 1/2 sticks butter, melted and cooled - I always used salted
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix the flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl then set aside. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.



In a larger bowl mash the bananas then add the brown sugar and mix well.



Add the eggs, vanilla and butter, mix again.



Finally fold in the flour and mix well without overmixing. Confused? Just be sure you don't see any specks of white at the bottom but don't go crazy on the mixing.



There's your batter. The lumps are from the banana and I meant to do that. Makes it homemade and rustic.



Now it's time to make a muffin choice. Do you like paper liners or no liners? Silicone or metal tins? Or no tins? What?! No tins? Yes, I use metal muffin tins sometimes but most times I double a recipe and just use these souffle cups also known as nut and party cups that everyone loves for making cupcakes on the blog sphere. I just plop them on a half sheet pan and don't have to fiddle with retrieving hot muffins from a hot pan only to refill them. Have I mentioned I'm lazy? Let's reframe that to um, creative.

So fill your cups and sprinkle some of the raw sugar on each one. Don't be shy. Place in the oven and bake 18-20 minutes.



Remove when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with only moist crumbs and the muffins are golden brown.



Try to restrain yourself before cracking into your own personal cup of yum.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

Oh, yum. Those look lighter than my regular recipe. I wonder if I can keep the kids away from the bananas long enough for them to be bread-ready.

Anonymous said...

Hoy esta lloviendo por mi casa y esa receta invita a una taza de chocolate como me lo preparaba mi abuelita y mi mama.Luego...
...a ver tv.
carinos,
mami

MommaMari said...

LOL Stacy. I know that's a hard thing to do around here too. I've found even with 3 bananas the muffins are still pretty moist.

Mami, como disfrutaria esa taza de chocolate contigo.