Friday, April 10, 2009

The ripple is done.


I'm not in love with it. The first time I saw the ripples across the blogosphere I wasn't impressed. I set the idea aside as a no go and moved on. Then I saw Alicia's ripple and felt a twinge. Still, I couldn't quite come up with a color scheme that didn't scream 70s or feel so random it didn't match. Having lived with 3 beige super shedding dogs for almost 9 years your color scheme naturally gravitates to beige and tan. Well, that is unless you want to vacuum twice a day. I rejected the ripple yet again.

Then I saw Lucy's ripple. More than a twinge, I immediately thought - I need THAT. Since there's no way I'd be able to pry that luscious blanket from her hands I would have to make my own. I figured I could recreate the feel of her color scheme (muted cool colors with a few punches of bright) but in a more affordable option like Caron Simply Soft. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the natural fibers for my knitting, sewing and crocheting when it's reasonable. A 13 skein blanket? Not so reasonable (read Lucy's breakdown of her cashmerino blanket). However, the problem wasn't in the brand of yarn I used - the caron worked up wonderfully and I'll continue using it for other projects. My misstep was in adding just "one more color" over and over. I pretty much covered the whole rainbow and still felt the need for the "punches of color" with the orange, green and raspberry colors. I think it's just a bit too much.

It may just take some getting used to. Aside from the color though the blanket is huge. Large enough to cover Mr. Maricucu's 6'4" frame while he sleeps on the couch or for me to snuggle with both boys and the babe. It's super soft, squishy and apparently I'm the only having issues with the color scheme. Before I'd had a chance to weave in the ends, both boys grabbed it for a test run.



Since they'd already snuggled under it plenty of times while I crocheted it during the day, obviously the next thing to do would be build a fort. So after the obligatory pose-for-momma shot they went to town.


After the test run I wove in the ends, figured it might look better with a dark blue border so I added about 4 rows of SC in the dark blue. It's a bit improved. If anything it's kind of like an old pair of shoes that feel much better than they look. Mr. Maricucu humors me and tells me it looks lovely. Since everything looks better with a baby another hasty shot with the little one. This was after she found out how much the pay is around these parts.

No comments: